Thursday, October 28, 2010

Day 1 post-op

Sleeping overnight after the surgery wasn't too bad. Of course I got woken up every few hours to have my vital signs checked, but I got back to sleep quickly each time. I was a bit annoyed because my roommate had her television on all night which did not help for restfulness. Since it wasn't a private room, neither of our husbands could stay overnight--they both slept out in their respective vehicles. Because of this I did not get help pumping or eating until I saw my husband again at noon. I wasn't hungry, but my breasts were beginning to feel uncomfortable from the unused milk.

I had a trip to the oral surgeon's office for x-rays and a mini exam. They said everything looks great and that my teeth are going together well. During this whole morning I mostly kept my eyes closed because of my corneal abrasion.

After the OS, I was sent to see an opthomologist who agreed that it was a corneal abrasion and measured it and gave me information and medication for it. I hadn't brought my glasses with me, so he (the resident) was a little worried about how bad my vision was. They couldn't get it up high enough with a little hand-held device to say for sure that my eyes weren't really screwed up. I told him I remembered my contacts prescription, though, which allowed him to use his machine to show that I can see normally with the right lenses. During this time he also put in some numbing drops which felt heavenly. But you can only use those once because after that it starts to do its own damage.

After the opthomologist, I was wheeled into their waiting room and supposed to wait for someone to take me back to my room. I don't know how much time passed, but it seemed like way too long so I went to the desk to ask about it. They called again for some help, and finally I was on my way again. Back on my floor, they were trying to determine what room I was in. Someone said, "Michael?" which I thought referred to my husband being there, so I nodded. Instead, they thought that was my name (I guess a swollen face really makes you look less feminine), and they put me in Michael's room. I drank a little of his water before they figured out the mistake and got me to the right room.

After that I had some education on feeding myself, and got some discharge papers, and we were on our way!

Getting home was really nice, especially being able to hug my children. I let everyone gawk at me for a while, then got to take a long nice nap, and rest the rest of the evening. My dear husband set up a series of alarms that would tell me when to take my various medications and the like.

1 comment: