Thursday, October 7, 2010

A few preparations

Currently I'm mostly killing time until my appointment on the 15th with the oral surgeon. At that point he'll do molds, give a final okay on going ahead with the surgery, and answer a lot of my questions. One thing I don't know is how long I'm going to be on a liquid diet.

I'm also thinking about requesting a tooth implant for a molar I had removed. That molar being destroyed was one of the things that convinced me to go ahead with this surgery. When I talked with the oral surgeon the first time (prior to having the molar removed), they said that most people don't mind having that tooth gone. But I am finding that I'm only chewing on one side because of the missing tooth. And if I'm going to spend all this money on fixing up my mouth, why not make it perfect? I don't want to have to favor one side of my mouth just to save a few bucks.

Every day I notice the muscle strain in my jaw. It's likely a combination of being more aware of the problem because of being more educated, and the muscles having a problem with the new position of my teeth from the braces. I am amused when I realize that different teeth touch at different points of the day, like my muscles are getting tired of holding onto one position.

I'm starting to buy things to prepare. This is extra motivation to push the surgeon to go ahead with the surgery :-) Things I have already:
  • whiteboard - for writing if/when I can't talk
  • two boxes (24 12 oz bottles) of Myoplex chocolate nutritional shake
  • one pack (6 8 oz bottles) of Equate strawberry nutritional shake
  • one pack (6 8 oz bottles) of Equate vanilla nutritional shake
  • one bottle (64 oz) white grapefruit juice
  • one bottle (64 oz) V-8 Splash Smoothie
  • vitamin D
  • vitamin A
  • vitamin C
  • multivitamins
  • new bottle of Carlson's Finest fish oil
  • powdered greens
I'm worried that I won't be able to get vitamins into my mouth at first. I guess I can try crushing them now and see how it goes.

My husband wants me to try sleeping in the recliners now so we know which one to bring downstairs and if I need to get some special or extra pillows. I had been planning to do that this weekend while my in-laws were away, but it looks like they're going to be staying. I'll have to work some nap time in soon to try them out, instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment