Monday, October 11, 2010

Liquid vitamins

After stocking up on regular vitamins I remembered/realized that I probably wouldn't be able to get a pill into my mouth for at least the first week post-surgery, and that I didn't really relish the idea of getting them in there chopped up (let alone asking someone to chop it!). So I picked up some liquid vitamins. I got the Centrum liquid multi-vitamin, and some Emergen-C Immune Defense formula. The box says it is a "Ruby lemon honey flavored fizzy drink mix."

On the different jaw surgery blogs I've read, there's a wide range of practices from doing nothing special to having acupuncture or lymph massage. Everyone takes different vitamins.

My family doctor just wants me to take extra vitamin C after the surgery. Dr. John Berardi has an article about healing after sports injuries, and he recommends Vitamins A and C, and copper and zinc, along with fish oil.

This is what I'm going to do, and it will have to be good enough:

Immediately post-surgery (before I can swallow pills):
  • two doses of the liquid multivitamin
  • one dose of the Emergen-c Immune Defense
  • one tablespoon of fish oil
Once I can swallow pills, up to a month after the surgery:
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin C
  • Vitamin D
  • Two multivitamins
I might try to find copper somewhere in the big city this weekend. I already have my fish oil which I take every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment